LOCKDOWN

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » LOCKDOWN » Новый форум » Help me reason with my wife on school issue

Help me reason with my wife on school issue

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

Howdy, internet folks! My eldest kid brought home a paper asking for our signature on some… ‘Abstract education” or something. I’m mostly a lurker, here for the movies and whatnot, but… I’ve never thought that something so trivial could bring so much drama into our family. My wife thinks it’s ridiculous and we shouldn’t let them spend any time on this nonsense. I don’t know if they had just free time or some substitute class, as far as I know it’s just a formality. But my wife just… won’t budge! Any solid arguments? Any anecdotes by parents or folks who had this “abstract class”? I’m not necessarily looking for advice on winning the argument, I want us to get a deeper understanding of the issue as a family.

+2

It’s just a waste of time. I doubt they’ve been able to put together something even remotely meaningful, bearing in mind our limited resources on the matter.

+2

That’s just a waste of time especially if they plan to schedule it to the after hours. I hated every second of it!!!

+2

I think it’s necessary evil. No one will explain to them what the heck is happening with our world, so it may be good to gain at least some understanding of it from a trained professional.

Any links or maybe public curriculums? I tried to look it up, but had zero success.

+2

In my school it was just a couple of PSA tapes and something like “If you decide to take a career in the field there’s the risks, there’s the benefits”. Nothing a quick internet search wouldn’t give you.

+1

Have you asked your kid what they themselves want? Or think?

+3

They don’t mind having the class, but would rather spend time with friends or taking their music lessons.

+1

You know, reading a FAQ here would get anyone a better understanding of the state of affairs than any class could.

+1

Someone had actually read the FAQ? Ha-ha, good one!

+1

luckiest_partyes wrote:

They don’t mind having the class, but would rather spend time with friends or taking their music lessons.

I think you need to ask the school board for a plan or some extra materials. It may be tricky, but if there indeed is no trained professional teaching the class, then you can freely skip it.

+3

You think there's a professional actually teaching stuff to school kids?

+1

Why not, it’s a solid option for someone in the University to do some work for their community.

+2

We’ll try to communicate with the school, thank you for input. Any more stories would be preferable!

+1

I once was tasked to teach this stuff. And I’m a literature and arts teacher. They just decided that I don’t work enough hours and – blam. The worst year of my life.

+1

What happened hext?

+1

They got some graduate students to do a joint class once a week in the assembly hall. I don’t know how it went, but our chemistry teach said it was quite neat. Don’t know if any of the kids enjoyed it, though.

+2

You are here » LOCKDOWN » Новый форум » Help me reason with my wife on school issue

Рейтинг форумов | Создать форум бесплатно